Today’s post is about the differences between Regular KNK Studio and KNK Studio GE. I get asked this question about three times a week by members at the various boards. Below is a list I compiled to explain the technical differences but we’re also being asked, based on what cutter you own, which software would be the best choice. Here are the guidelines:
(1) If you own an 8″ Graphtec cutter (blue WB, pink WB, blue CR, new CR, Silhouette), then you want GE. Again, read the differences below.
(2) If you own a KNK, then you would have received KNK Studio with your cutter and you can also cut to a CR Pro, AC-40, Pazzles Pro, and any of the above 8″ Graphtec cutters. However, unlike with GE, you cannot do a print and cut using the built-in optic eye on a Graphtec cutter.
(3) If you own another cutter, such as the Pazzles Inspiration, you may want to buy KNK Studio for the additional features. Fore example, we’ve sold a number of copies to those who want to import vector PDF files and then save in a format that will import into other software programs. In this situation, you should just buy GE because it costs less. 🙂
Now… onto the differences between regular KNK Studio and GE:
(1) GE utilizes the Controller window you are already used to seeing in RoboMaster or Wishblade or Silhouette for setting the Speed and Pressure.
(2) In GE you can switch to Landscape cutting by just changing the document to landscape (like in RoboMaster). In regular KNK Studio you have to turn off Axis Swap in the defaults.
(3) GE will do print and cuts… a window was added to turn on reg marks like in RoboMaster or Wishblade or Silhouette and you switch to a Knife with reg marks tools and that tells the Controller to do the search using the optic eye. Regular KNK Studio is not designed to utilize an optic eye.
(4) Regular KNK Studio has the drivers to cut to all KNK’s, AC40/Pazzles Pro, CR Pro, and WB/CR/Silh (but without the features in 1, 2, and 3).
Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! Oh… and I own a Yahoo group just for KNK Studio GE. It’s at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KNKStudioGE/